First of all, I apologize for not posting for a few days.
It’s been really hot, and when it gets like that, all I want to do is as little as possible.
Like most people, I can only do that for so long.
As most of you know, this past Weekend, was a long Weekend.
My Wife and I spent most of it at the Grand Reopening of the Museum Of Nature.
We spent almost Seven hours there on Saturday, which was utterly insane.
The place was PACKED, and most of our time was spent waiting in lineups to get in, and to even use the Elevators.
While I was there, we paid close attention to Wheelchair Accessibility.
For the most part, it’s not too bad.
Here are my thoughts:
1. One thing we noticed right away was there’s no Wheelchair Access to the outside sitting area/patio/outlook place. The only way for a Wheelchair to get up there is by going through the Museum, and taking the Elevator. Meanwhile, able bodied people can just walk up a few steps. I’m not even sure if they need to pay, but we would need to, just because we need to enter the Building in order to get there.
2. I noticed that many of the Doors to the Exhibit Areas don’t have a button to open the doors. To me, this is a really sad oversight on their part. By not having a Button, most of us are unable to open the doors, and will have to wait for someone to help.
3. Most of the signs in the Exhibits are readable, but some are really hard to get to, due to their location. Disabled people often need to get close to be able to read them, and sometimes it’s not possible. I also suggest that using large print signs for the visually impaired would go a long way. Also, some of the signs are way too low for some of us to read. Personally speaking, I can’t bend down or over to read them, and I imagine not a lot of other Disabled people can either.
4. The Gift Shop is pretty small. I realize that it was packed on the Weekend, but I had a really hard time turning the corners in there. It had nothing to do with people being in the way. The tables for the items on display are simply too close to the shelves. A few extra inches at both ends of the Store would greatly improve the problem.
1. The Elevators are HUGE, which is great.
2. It’s great to know that Personal Care Attendants are free. There needs to be more places in Ottawa, besides Museums that offer this. I should also point out that the Museum is free for everyone every Thursday from 5 PM to 8 PM. It’s $10 for Adults any other times.
3. For the most part, Bathrooms are a good size. Some are bigger than others, but that’s pretty much the case anywhere in Ottawa.
4. The small Elevator to get into the Lobby is a lot nicer, and feels much safer than the old one. I remember riding the old one when I was a Kid, and it would often shake and rattle while it was moving.
5. The Lighting is MUCH better in the Museum now, and it doesn’t feel creepy anymore. I can actually see certain displays a lot easier now.
6. The new HD Theatre is fully accessible, complete with spots for People in Wheelchairs, and their Attendant/Friend etc can sit beside them as well.
So there ya go, folks.
That’s what I think of the newly revamped Museum Of Nature in Ottawa.
I’ll be sending a slightly modified version of this post to the Museum.
I plan on returning there sometime this Summer.