I haven’t felt like posting for the past few days because I’m tired of talking about my health issues. I’m happy to report though that I’m off the needle though and today was my last day for my Antibiotics. So, that means that as of now, I have only one drug to deal with. It happens to be the Rat Poison Pills, which taste really really bad.

Last night, my Wife & I were finally gonna have a night out and go see The Wrestler.Just before we left, I started having Stomach issues. Once they subsided, we rented WALL-E, which I recommend you check out if you haven’t already.

By now, you’re probably wondering why is this a historic day for me.

On March 16th, 1994, I left the Childrens Hospital Of Eastern Ontario after living there for 19 years. The main reason that I stayed there for so long is because there wasn’t anywhere else to put me.

My years included 6 years in ICU, followed by 9 years on a ward full of school aged kids, followed by 2 years on a ward full of babies and other kids that needed long term care. From there, they sent me back with the school aged kids.

My “happiest* time was being with the school aged kids. I was able to make TONS of friends. We got to hang out, play video games, or we’d just talk and I’d try to cheer them up during their stay. Whenever there was a new kid or family, I’d usually show them around the ward and answer any questions they had. The downside was that ALOT of my friends passed away due to various diseases & illnesses.

When I was about 14, I got asked if I wanted to live in a Group Home or in a Long Term Care Hospital. My response was that I wanted to live in my own place. At the time, a person requiring 24/7 care wanting to live on their own was simply unheard of, at least here in Canada.

My Mom & I quickly started a letter writing campaign to see if it was at all possible. We hit many roadblocks as expected, but in the end, we prevailed.

On March 16th, 1994, I woke up for the last time at CHEO. The Hospital threw me a big party, the Nurses & other Staff came to say goodbye,  and the Media was out in full force. I was the first guy in Canada to attempt this.

It definitely hasn’t been easy, but it still feels amazing.

Just 4 years ago, they tried to kick me out of my home, simply because it was too expensive to keep me here. This time around, my Wife & I successfully won that arguement and I’m still here.

15 years later

My goal is to surpass 19 years and at least be able to say that I survived longer on my own than I did in the Hospital.

As the song goes, “Nothing is better than freedom”.

Thanks for reading.

  1. Tina says:

    You are a real inspiration Ryan. I’ve been working with “special needs” children and adults most of my life and it really gives me hope for some who are not as fortunate as you. Don’t ever give up that fight, I’ve been helping many with it over the years and it’s not easy. Good for you!! I hope you get your chair back soon and you can have a real celebration with your wife, you deserve it!! Cheers to many more years 🙂

  2. ryanlythall says:

    Thanks very much.
    Either I forgot you work with them or didn’t know.
    That’s pretty inspiring in itself.
    Luckily, my chair returned shortly after I woke up.

    Now, I’m gonna go see my Wife.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s